Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tile Spacers - The Perfect Math Manipulative

TIP - Tile Spacers are a Great Tool for Math

Local home improvement stores will
have tile spacers for purchase
It is late. I am watching the election results. I want to go to sleep but my curiosity wont let me. I thought I would get on here and give my hands something else to do while I wait on the results. I hope that you were able to get out there and vote! 

Anyways...here is my PSA for tonight...

I am always looking for a great tool in my classroom for math. I feel like the students always do better in math when they can touch and manipulate their math. Seeing the numbers and knowing what they mean is a great way to learn numbers and equations. 

When we use a manipulative in the classroom, math can be loud. I like loud but I do not want the manipulative to be loud as well, the students do not need help raising the volume in the classroom. (Am I right?!?!)

I ran across tile spacers when working with my team of teachers. They are a great tool to use for math. They are soft, quiet, small and cheap. A bag of 500 can be purchased at most home improvement stores for close to 6 bucks. (What a deal!)

I also like them because they are not shaped like anything. When you use bears and other specific shaped manipulatives they can be a problem for playing or stealing. I can tell a math story and we as a class can pretend that these tile spacers are ANYTHING in the world - birds, fish, flowers, cats, kids, candy, etc. 

Check them out! 

Good Night (morning) and Happy Teaching!

Wacky West (Melisa)


No comments:

Post a Comment