Saturday, November 12, 2016

First Grade Math Morning Work Freebie

CCSS Based Math Morning Work for First Grade


Option 1 - Beginning of the Year
My first grade team of teachers and I were looking for something simple for our kiddos to do when they came in each morning. We were looking for something that would help with number sense, they could complete on their own and kept them busy. Our students had time in the morning before class started to eat breakfast in the classroom and having morning work and independent activities were very helpful. 

Other teachers also used these as a "do now" or a number talk before math began, it would be something they would go over as a class before they started math. You could also use these as an exit slip or early finisher sheets. You of course can choose what you use it for. 

I created 2 versions as the year moves on, it gets a little more rigorous and adds on another skill level with the part-part-whole boxes. The second version helps when you teach addition and subtraction and your students have a good understanding of it.


Version 2 - Once Addition and Subtraction Concepts Have Been Taught
These 2 versions have 2 to a page. You can cut them apart to use as you wish. I have used these sheets in a variety of ways through the years. 

Here is a list of how I have used them throughout the years: 

1. One year I had a bin with a bunch of 1/2 sheets. The students would eat their breakfast and then grab a 1/2 sheet to complete after eating. They would either turn the paper in for me to check or keep it on their desk for us to go over. 

2. One year I cut the papers apart and made a packet of 5 for the week by stapling them together. I passed out the packets each day and they completed again after eating breakfast. 

3. One year I just stapled 2 pages together and we only did 4 days and I usually had something more fun on Friday. 

I post the number I want the students to use on the board. I usually include the spelling of the number until we have created a poster/anchor chart/math journal page for reference. 
I hope these are helpful for you! You can get them here at my TpT store. Feel free to check out my other goodies and freebies on the page as well!

Click the link for the freebie!!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Number-of-the-Day-Morning-Work-2859512




Thanks for stopping by!

Melisa (Wacky West)









No comments:

Post a Comment