Sunday, November 20, 2016

First Grade Opinion Writing

Opinion Writing Materials and Ideas


I have a love and hate relationship with writing in first grade. The students are just learning how to read and write yet we want them to go through the whole writing process and produce a finished multi sentence piece that makes sense and stays on topic. YIKES, am I right?

I feel like some writing comes easier when you have a good text or idea. I also like to have classroom journals up and running so that response to literature can happen, station writing can happen and it is another early finisher idea. Journals are something that is easy to pull out and help practice when you need a time filler that is high order learning with writing being a difficult skill. 


Click paper image to go to TpT store
One of my favorite opinion writing projects is paired with reading the book, "Duck Rabbit!". This book is perfect for your first opinion writing project. The author has two people arguing whether or not the picture they are looking at is a duck or a rabbit. The people in the story give their reasons or their evidence why they believe what they believe. It is a great way to explain opinion. TpT has a lot of templates like the one that I have posted here that help with the writing project. The kiddos can color the picture to show the animal they think it is and write their reasons why. 


Just 1 of the 4 pre-writing organizers
included in my TpT packet
Of course, you can not just give the students a writing paper and ask them to write their opinion, give reasons and a conclusion without giving examples or a pre-writing organizer. I have created just the thing that you would need to help your students organize their writing, come up with journal ideas when writing opinions on their own and pre-made writing pages for you to create your own opinion lessons. I have also included my PowerPoint presentation that I use to introduce opinion writing to my class. You can find it on my TpT store, Wacky West or click the link to go straight to it. 
1 out of 17 different pre-made
writing prompts!

Good luck teaching writing in your classroom! I hope you check out my TpT and I hope it helps you, as it has helped me through the years! 

Come back for more ideas, seller items and freebies! 

Wacky West (Melisa)






My TpT Store:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Wacky-West

















No comments:

Post a Comment